Quarantine Recipe Share: Blueberry Corona-pie-rus
So, it seems like we have got some responses for “What’s cooking in your quarantine kitchen?” It turns out there have been quite some kitchen actions over the weekend, including a very handsome looking blueberry pie on 3.14 (Pi Day!!!) — it looked so tasty and fun that we thought we ought to share it with the world. And the chef is generous enough to share his recipe. So, sit tight, here you go!
created by: A physicist, foodie, musician, pilot, car guy
QK tally: 9 ingredients
- 1 standard pie crust
- 2 pints blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp tapioca powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- optional: egg white — we will call that egg wash since we are so fancy
- Go shopping before the quarantine if you haven’t done so! Once settled at home, you can pre-heat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Mis-en-place: set your pie crust & your fancy egg wash aside — this is very important because the next step is…
- Mix everything else together!
- Dump the mix in the crust that you set aside during your mis-en-place. (Now you see why that was important?)
- Get a brush and dip into that fancy egg wash and brush evenly on the crust.
- Load that baby into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. No peeking. (Fine, you can peek through the oven door but do NOT open it!)
Photo & Recipe Credit: @ericjin0
Chef’s special tip:
- IF you have a pie shield (it is apparently a thing), use it; or if not, use aluminum foil this way to protect the pie crust like the rest of us.
- IF you have some leftover crust, please feel free to unleash your creativity & decorate the pie before putting it into the oven. (Don’t even attempt to compete with what’s featured here, however. You might obtain an unnecessary defeat.)
There you have it! (Hope you are quarantined with a roomful of people to share the pie with — or you will have 6 servings of the dessert!)
Before we sing off, what are you making in your kitchen? Comment below to let us know!
P.S. The chef’s Instagram is really cool but private, so follow him and wish you luck!