Quarantine Kitchen Shopping List
After you’ve secured some hand soap, disinfection wipes and a lifelong supply of toilet paper (bravo!), you can finally feel safe when during the quarantine at home. But what are you going to eat? How can you keep the socially-distanced meals interesting? Here’s a pandemic shopping list for your pantry, fridge and freezer!
Quarantine Shopping for the Pantry (Dry Goods)
These are the items you store at room temp (which means you can keep consuming after the apocalypse):
- Pasta & Pasta Sauce — Good idea to get spaghetti and some other smaller pasta to mix things up. Can also add use them to a soup!
- Beans, Beans, Beans — There are so many kinds! Go for the dried version – they taste better and you can get more quantity vs. canned.
- Root Vegetables — like (sweet) potato, rutabaga, whole winter squash, whole cabbage (fine, this one grows on the ground but can last for a long time). Even at a time like this, you can still have your whole foods (even plant-based) diet!
- Canned Fish – anchovies, tuna, salmon, sardine and other canned fish are great mains or accents (anchovy dressing, anyone?).
- Canned Veggies/Soups — corn, peas, tomatoes, pickles and canned soup (zero work! ready-to-eat!)
- Rice & Grains — brown, white, arborio – rice is great and versatile. If you are having a hard time finding it, try quinoa, millet, freekeh. Oats for an easy breakfast.
- Oil & Vinegar — you probably already have these, just double check to make sure you don’t run out.
- Seasonings like salt, pepper, garlic, onions, ginger, chili peppers, and za’atar if you are a foodie.
- Beverages like coffee, tea, shelf-stable milk — you don’t want to go through a caffeine withdrawal while you’re stuck at home!
- Baking Basics like flour, sugar — because now is the time to experiment with your inner pastry chef.
- Nuts if you are not allergic — full of nutrients and if you’re feeling creative you can make nut butter and dairy-free milk.
- Snacks — There’s always trail mix and chips, but you might have some time on your hands, so consider DIY ingredients to make your own spiced popcorns (listed above ;P ).
Quarantine Shopping for the Freezer
- Frozen Fruit like blueberries, strawberries, mango chunks, and pineapple slices. Great for breakfast, dessert or both!
- Frozen (Mixed) Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, or a pre-mixed blend for a stew or stir-fry.
- Frozen Meals like a regular frozen pizza & slightly less regular meal-kit — although not the tastiest, it gets the belly filled from morning to dawn!
- Frozen Snacks — Optional but will impact your quality of life: a pint of ice-cream or a green tea Mochi anyone?
Quarantine Shopping for the Fridge
- Eggs — so versatile, can be added to dishes or can stand alone. However, lucky if you can get some.
- Fresh Fruits like apples, pears, oranges, bananas — plus, you can always freeze them for later.
- Leafy Greens like lettuce, bok choy, Swiss chard, kale stays fresh longer in the fridge if rinsed and wrapped in a towel.
- Dairy like milk, cheese, and yogurt and their plant-based cousins.
Now that you’ve bought everything on the list you are ready for a Quarantine Kitchen adventure! Just kidding. There’s enough here to feed a small army. That said, you may be home for a while, so don’t skimp too much. Wishing you luck with your shopping!
Is your quarantine kitchen ready? Comment below to let us know!